Wednesday, September 5, 2007

D. James Kennedy goes to be with the Lord

D. James Kennedy went home today September 5, 2007. He was 76 years old and has been fighting complications from a heart attack Dec. 28th. Dr. Kennedy has not been seen since his heart attack. His death comes only ten days after his retirement announcement.

Dr. Kennedy was the pastor of Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, since 1959 when he started the church with just 45 members. Today the congregation boasts over 10,000 members.

In the 1960's, Kennedy began Evangelism Explosion, one of the most effective evangelistic tools created in the last few decades.

Dr. Kennedy was an influence to me personally. I spent many years delivering pizzas, listening to Christian radio, and honing my discernment skills and he was one of the reliable speakers I listened to along with R. C. Sproul and Alistair Begg. While some of his sermons probably would not pass the diagnostic I laid out a few weeks back, he was a man of God and will be missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great minds think alike! I just posted on Dr. Kennedy's death, too. We owe a debt of gratitude for such a tireless example of Reformed evangelism. May we all go and do likewise.

I hope whoever succeeds Dr. Kennedy doesn't lead Coral Ridge Pres to ditch their organ!!! It's one of the highlights of my Sundays.