Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Poll 2

Having spent a couple of years at a "Christian College", I had the opportunity to interact with a plethora of true Arminians. I put the college name in quotes because they advertise themselves as a non-denominational institution. However, it quickly becomes apparent this group is every bit a denomination as any others are. They claim to have "no book but the bible" and "no creed but Christ." Isn't that interesting, no creed but Christ is a creed (credo="I believe" in Greek). These well intentioned individuals did do one thing I can forever be grateful for: they drove me to the scriptures to investigate what I was being taught. I have derived much pleasure over the last year telling people "Who would have thought I would have gone to an Arminian school and become a Calvinist?" Searching the scriptures, I soon discovered the doctrines of grace were there all along, and I had been letting my presupposititions get in the way.

One of the things I always got a kick out of was asking these well meaning but misguided souls if they believed God was sovereign. They would, without exception, say, "Yes, but...." followed by any number of things. Alas, try as I might, I just could not make them see that "yes, but..." was equal to "no." I love many of these people, and I am grateful for learning the true biblical doctrine in spite of what is being taught there. The credit goes entirely to God. Thank you Lord.

No comments: