Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Do We Need To Know Greek?

I have been having a very charitable conversation with a dear friend of mine on whether or not regeneration precedes faith. In one of my responses I appealed to the Greek mood of a verb. My friend asked if he needed to know Greek to understand a passage. I have not answered him but this is exactly why I have undertaken the task of learning the original languages. One does not NEED to know Greek, but it sure would be helpful.



One of the biggest problems in modern evangelicalism is they read the indicative verbs as imperative. This causes great misunderstanding and heresy. Indicative verbs make a statement of how things are, they do not tell us to do things. Imperative verbs are commands we are to follow. This would be avoided if the interpreters of scripture understood the Greek grammar.

No comments: